 Trains / 6673
Re: FOTY - Xmas in July
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:31:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Take your sarcasm to RTL...

Nope, sorry.  I'm gonna keep it right here.

But if you really believed that, why post?

For the fun of it? To irritate you?

But no, actually I don't believe in collecting -- only in building.
Collecting is only for those without imagination.  I recently asked someone
else what the point of collecting MISB sets was but did not receive a
response.  I think that there is no reponse save for the obsession of it --
and that's more like a mental illness than a hobby.

"O look, I have twenty pitchforks...!" or "I would only sell my ten MISB 6086s
for $1000 each..." etc, etc, etc....

The idea of some nuts slobbering over their MISB set collections when someone
could MORE IMPORTANTLY be building with those same sets annoys me (so I am
raining on the collectors' parade, okay?).  That's like hoarding modeling
clay -- never to be removed from its airtight packaging...

Every time I receive an MISB set, I just tear right into it. Sometimes, I even
damage the boxes or throw them out.  Sometimes, I even toss out duplicate
instructions.  If it ain't usable bricks -- who cares?

You can't date bricks, you can't match up the bricks from a particular set --
ultimately, they are not very good as a collectable because anyone with the
few specialized pieces can put together a Guarded Inn with other bricks added
in and PRETEND that it should command a fortune for its rarity (FS: Guarded
Inn without box or instructions $250). Pfah!  What nonsense!

Enjoy it, build with it, take pictures of it, tell stories with it -- but in
the end remember: It's just plastic bits, folks!

-- Richard