 Trains / 4347
Re: My EMD SD40-2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 01:08:47 GMT

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Building is great fun, but I have been all smiles reading what you have been saying!

Yeah, I have a problem with the railing too. It is just not right, but without the railing it
looks unfinished. I was thinking that a stiff tube (the tubes from the pod racers) supported
by 1x1 with top clamp, in turn supported by those hinged rods with 1x1 round plate at the end
(used as stablizer leg in the Railrod Tractor Flatbed
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=4543-1 ) which is in turn attached to a 1x2 blue
hinge plates burried in the platform would look better. I do not have the parts to try it,
but I am thinking of buying/trading for them.

Thanks for the extra info, I'll add the blower information instead of just calling it a
bulge. I assume blower means supercahrger? By the way, when I got those SNOT pieces, which
are supposed to be part of a freestyle elephant, I knew instantly that I was going to use
them for the blower bulge. Only curved bricks I have come from that playtable freestyle set.

I checked my RTL acronym reference and I cannot find SNOT. What's a SNOT?

About the technic plate and peg coupler vs the plate with integral peg coupler. The technic
plate and peg coupler is free to rotate (abit) on all three axes (as previously defined, x =
direction of track, y = accross the track, and z = orthagonal to the track) I have not run
the tank cars much, so I do not know if they are prone to derailing.

A note about the sliding wheelset. It works fine through curves and switches, but I notice a
fairly loud click as they go through a crossover. Apparently, the wheelsets do not align
perfectly when they exit a curve, and there is no guide mechanism on the cross track. I
suspect that after extended running this could be a problem; however, I have not run it long
enough for a problem to develop. I meant to add this comment to the site, and I probably will
in the future.

This group has been great. The biggest thing I have gotten from this group is the idea that
things can be done. It may not be the simplest solution, but it can be done. If you don't
have train windows figure out what you can do with the windows you do have. Many times while
building I found myself saying things like, "No, there must be a way to get three truck
through a curve." And when the first solution involved a wheel set that wasn't attached to
anything I thought, "There must be a way to get this wheelset to move, but not fall out of
the truck." Man...the front window...you saw all the posts...need blue windows...nope never
mind...wait no I need them...oops never mind. I took me a long time to come up with the
solution I used, not perfect, but it works. (I think Joe's use of the backwards airplane
windows had something to do with me thinking of my solution
http://userweb.springnet1.com/jdavenp/Train.html ).

Thanks everyone for the help, tricks and tips, inspiration, and comraderie (sp? not in my
lousy computer dictionary...why is it that nearly all computer dictionaries are horrible?),
Chris

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Sproaticus wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Christopher Masi wrote:
<snip>
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/engine_gallery.htm

The more I look at this, the more I like it. Pardon me while I rave a
bit... Crossposted to .build... it's THAT good.

Yah, he follows what Karim calls "sculpting" very well, making excellent use
of the SNOT pieces in subtle and efficient ways.

SNOT? What's SNOT to like?

Instead of just slanting the dynamic brake bulge, he figured out how to
put grills on the underside.

Is that the EMD SD40-2 seen here:

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/EMD_SD40_2/emd_sd40-2_pic.htm

The bulge along the side near the top middle has vents slanted downwards.
Very sneaky.  :-,

Yes, that's what I meant by grills on the underside of the dynamic brake
bulge. That's what it is. Those vents are to ventilate hot air emitted
from the huge resistors which are using up the electricity generated by
running the truck traction motors as generators (hence the braking
action).

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!