 Trains / 4356
Re: My EMD SD40-2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 03:56:55 GMT

Thanks, I was basing my guess on the slang blower = supercharger; I couldn't • remember if the
SD40-2 were turbo/supercharged. No need to answer that one I can look it up • when I get home.
I have to laugh...what is a supercAHrger anyway.

Turbo'd. All more recent EMD/EMDD products are Turbocharged rather than
supercharged

ALCO's and MLW's were Supercharged.  They were legendary for the clouds of
smoke they produced.

(in a diesel, if you rev it up, the fuel supply is increased before the air
gets there if it is supercharged.  This produces quanties of black smoke.  If
the engine is Turbocharged, the delay is much smaller than if
Supercharged...because the fuel will still burn, and then power the turbo.)

  The photos of the PA's leaving Montreal _belching_ smoke are legendary.  If a
fireman on a steamer in revenue had belched that black clag, they would have
been looking for another job...

(I manage a _green_ smoke, but...hey, its not my fault that I'm burning 3%
Sulfur)

James P