 Trains / 4335
Re: My EMD SD40-2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 05:08:07 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

Well, I keep mentioning it so it is about time I put it up. Here is my
version of an EMD SD40-2.

<snip>
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/engine_gallery.htm

The more I look at this, the more I like it. Pardon me while I rave a
bit... Crossposted to .build... it's THAT good.

Modern American locomotives are lumpy. They have weird louvers, access
panels, pieces of equipment protruding, doors in strange places, bulges,
etc... Christopher has captured the lumpiness well, and there are
several new tricks on display that we all should be putting in our
arsenal.

Instead of just slanting the dynamic brake bulge, he figured out how to
put grills on the underside.

Instead of just using grill tiles or the grooved bricks in the radiator
area, he figured out how to turn the tailgate piece sideways and used it
to simulate grillwork doors.

Instead of just skipping the blower bumpout, he got it right... correct
thickness and in the right place with a curve at the top.

And the cab, somehow, looks better than most cabs we've seen so far. The
locomotive has the sort of lanky look we expect to see, too... those
trucks with integral steps and wide overhanging front and back frame
ends help a lot.

Instead of just using 4 wheel trucks he figured out how to get 6 wheels
with good spacing to go around curves. AND he posted info on how to do
it!

I already said I liked it once... now I know why. If we had a "trains"
model of the month, the way MR mag does, I'd nominate this one.

Still don't like those handrails, but there may just be no way around
it... I lean toward just leaving them off in most cases. At lego
resolution (they're the thickness of a finger or so) they are invisible
anyway...

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!