 Trains / 4338
Re: My EMD SD40-2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:42:55 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Christopher Masi wrote:
<snip>
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/engine_gallery.htm

The more I look at this, the more I like it. Pardon me while I rave a
bit... Crossposted to .build... it's THAT good.

Yah, he follows what Karim calls "sculpting" very well, making excellent use
of the SNOT pieces in subtle and efficient ways.

Instead of just slanting the dynamic brake bulge, he figured out how to
put grills on the underside.

Is that the EMD SD40-2 seen here:

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/EMD_SD40_2/emd_sd40-2_pic.htm

The bulge along the side near the top middle has vents slanted downwards.
Very sneaky.  :-,

Instead of just using grill tiles or the grooved bricks in the radiator
area, he figured out how to turn the tailgate piece sideways and used it
to simulate grillwork doors.

...and this one is impressive as well.  See previous image, near the rear of
the side wall.  *Very* subtle, *very* effective.

And the cab, somehow, looks better than most cabs we've seen so far. The
locomotive has the sort of lanky look we expect to see, too... those
trucks with integral steps and wide overhanging front and back frame
ends help a lot.

It looks like the cab is an odd number of studs wide.  Just enough to get the
overhang to be an overhand, but not an obstruction in the tunnel.  :-,,

...I'm beginning to see how observing the utilitarian look of modern trains
can help in designing mecha...

Cheers,
- jsproat
Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society