 Trains / 3850
Re: LL Trains (was Re:8 wide and bigger(was Re: 8 Wide)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:10:12 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

John (and others, except James Powell who no doubt knows this already)

You toss around "G Scale" a lot but unlike most other gauges, G isn't
really just one scale. LGB is narrow gauge and thus is to a bigger scale
(22:5 to 1??) than some of the american mfgrs who use the same track but
model standard gauge stock. (32:1 ?? In both cases I forget....)

You are absolutely right, Lar.  According to largescale.com, there are 7
different scales that run on #1 Gauge track.  LGB is 1:22.5, Aristo-craft
is 1:29 (except their Classic series, which is 1:24, USA trains and Bachman
are (I think) 29:1.  In fact, I think there is a real push to use the
designation "LS" for large scale, and the ratio being 1:29 standard.  The
real cool stuff I seem to find (imported brass from Overland, Challenger)
is usually 1:32

So when you say you're building to G wheelsets are you doing standard or
narrow gauge? Your 14 wide may well be compatible with LL 20 wide if
you're doing Maine 2 footers or something.

I'm thinking standard-- narrow gauge would get too big.

-John