 Trains / 3688
Re: 8 wide and bigger (was Re: 8 Wide)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:13:44 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

John2,

You may not need to get a couple of million bricks for your 8 wide layout.
You can just use mine.

Mine is 8 wide compatible, too.  Would be fun to get them together:-)

It will be built to allow 8 wide trains to run.  I
fixed the problems with the turns being too sharp and am going to next fix
the track point geometry.  Only real problem I am running into now is that
with the trains 1.3 times as long and 1.3 times as wide and 1.3 times as
tall, I need 69% more floor space for the same layout and 2.2 times as many
bricks.  But at least it is cooler!

I'm guessing that mine is the "coolest" [1]

Now I don't want you to switch over to 10 wide just because you have some
fascination with having the biggest trains or I will have to go Legoland
scale on you.

LOL  No, I don't have any Freudian desire to have the biggest on the block
BUT.... I figure that 10 is roughly equivalent to G scale (1:22.5 - 1:32).
LEGO gauge is narrower than G scale gauge, but juvenile Belville midifigs are
about the same scale a G scale figs.  So I *would* like to build at least one
loco and car set that is operated by Belvillians...

On a side note, has anybody ever tried to build a Legoland scale train.  I
believe that they are 16 studs, but I may be mistaken.  I would love to go
there and bring a home made train body that looks better than their stuff.
Perhaps a large steam loco would do the job.  The moving parts would really
be cool looking.

Yes, that would be awesome.  16 sounds really wide;  I guestimated when I was
there last summer that they were around G scale and thus would be in the
neighborhood of 10 wide.  Of course, you wouldn't have any wheels, but you
could build everything else.  Put that on the project board as well;-)

-J8-)

[1] My layout involves a mountain which has just received a Spring storm of
about 6 feet of snow;-)

Mike Poindexter

PS:  Perhaps we should rename John2 to John8 to avoid confusion over who is
who in this ongoing debate.

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message

John Gerlach wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
<snip>

Welcome to the "Dark Side [1]"

-John

[1] In reality, the correct side;-)

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...  -grin-

For those of you who don't know what we're talking about, John Neal (aka
"John2") thinks that all LEGO trains should be built 8 studs wide.  The
civilized world thinks they should be built 6 studs wide.  So, we have • this
running argument going on!

But, even though we (the GMLTC) think John2 is *wrong*, we still like • him...

But you have to admit that they look great (8 wides) compared to toyish 6
wides.  I like the analogy of comparing 6 wides to Lionel trains.  They • just
don't look right.  And although 8 wides look "LEGO goofy" compared to • model
trains, they at least have potential.  If TLC would create proper trucks, • driver
wheels, window shapes, non-magnetic couplers, larger turns, scale railings
<takes a breath>, etc, we would have a full-blown hobby going here.  We • already
do now, but, like I said, it's a Lionel-type hobby.  The possibilities are • so
vast-- I could see the TRAINS theme become more popular than all the other
*combined*, including SW.  That's my vision.  But it has to be 8 wide (at
least;)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go work on my letter to Mr. Justus...

-John

And I keep saying, once he gets a couple of million bricks, we'll build • him a
layout suitable for 8 wide trains!  Any time now, John...  ;-)

Drat, I forgot to play again;-) [1]

[1] The lottery, which, in fact, I never play.

John1, GMLTC
  (remove the '.nospam' to reply...)