 Trains / 3686
Re: 8 wide and bigger (was Re: 8 Wide)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:44:05 GMT

Kevin Loch wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
John2,

You may not need to get a couple of million bricks for your 8 wide layout.
You can just use mine.  It will be built to allow 8 wide trains to run.  I
fixed the problems with the turns being too sharp and am going to next fix
the track point geometry.  Only real problem I am running into now is that

Would a simple solution to the turn problem be to just double up on
magnets?  (stick an extra magnet or two between the cars).

Hmmm.  Spacing was never a problem for me.  (Perhaps because I do not use the
buffers).  Mike, is this the problem to which you are referring (decoupling)?
Since my passenger cars are so heavy, there seems to be a limit as to how many
I can pull before decoupling occurs (3 cars).  I see two solutions.  First is
to place motors in the rear car (2) while having 2 pull from the loco/tender.
Second, which I have yet to try, is to forsake magnets altogether and use
these pieces:
http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/3640.gif
http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/3639.gif
As soon as I get some of them together, I think I will experiment with them.

-John

KL