 Trains / 3817
Re: New mod to double decker passenger train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:15:05 GMT

Tony Priestman wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, John Neal (<3889D95C.A3177C3F@uswest.net>) wrote at
16:22:54

Tony Priestman wrote:

The thing that bothers me about John's stuff that I've seen in pictures
is that the windows of the passenger stock look too small. This may be
subjective, as I'm not familiar with American trains, but I don't think
train windows are big enough for the job.

It's not a subjective thing, Tony.  Check out this pic I just quickly
grabbed and observe a typical Pullman streamlined coach.  I have seen photos
of Euro...er foreign passenger cars and have notice that by and large
windows across the pond are proportionally bigger to their coaches than
Pullman's.
http://www.mtmuseum.org/railroad/roster/gn1096.html

Hmmm. I had a suspicion that this might be the case. Possibly the
windows are similar sizes, but the bigger American coach bodies make
them look smaller. Which is what you said :-)

I seem to recall 70' as a coach length in the UK, for older stock,
anyway. The newer coaches are probably longer (I'm not a train spotter
any more :-). How long are the prototypes of the stuff you've modelled?

These coaches were about 80 feet (25 m), so they were *long*.  When I build 8
wide, I figure 1 stud to 1 ft,  and still my coaches are only 60 studs long.
I'd love to make them 80, but they wouldn't be able to handle the LEGO track
curves very well.  I build them upon 2 in line wagon plates, which ends up being
a nice size.

-John

--
Tony Priestman