 Trains / 3818
Re: Older train sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:31:04 GMT

Jonathan Reynolds wrote:

Douglas,
Take a look around some of the train-related sites. The original creations
displayed far surpass anything that was available from TLG.

Ain't that the truth.

Well, I'm happy to say my fingers are sore. I've been building all day,
with some help from the kids, and Nik's project train is all done. As
you may recall, he had signed up (they are all studying Japan) to report
on the "speed train" or Shinkazen.

It was very fortuitous that Masayuki showed up when he did, as his work
spurred me on. I cribbed a few ideas but I think I came up with
something somewhat different.

Basically it took 2 4561's, the doors from 2 5561s, and a lot of extra
slopes and blue and white bricks and plates... but I now have a 5 unit
(2 end power/control units and three cars in the center) bullet train. I
did not have that many of the 2 wide thinwalls to try the sideways move,
so I just used the boatloads of 4 wide thinwalls (the 1x4x3h kind). The
windows are kind of big, but that lets you see all the detailing.

I gotta get my camera fixed or replaced so I can show it off, but I
won't be tearing this creation down, although it doesn't really fit in
with my US prototype plans.

I had the rounded ends out from a Tie/Y but ended up just using a bunch
of airplane/boat noses to get a very pointy front end. I haven't decided
if it's too pointy or not, but it's good enough.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!