 Trains / 29881
Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:49:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Rich Stehnach wrote:

   I’m in need of examples of GOOD/GREAT and functional turntables. We’ll worry about a roundhouse later. I’ve knitted together hundreds (400+) 8x8 plates and placed them on 4 large baseplates. So I have the ultimate baseplate, now for the turntable.

I don’t have any pics off-hand, but the best designs I’ve seen use a circle of 9volt track for the base of the turntable, and a 9volt motor set under the spinning track. Come to think of it, the power functions motor and plastic track would be a great solution as well. Good luck with your project!

JOHN

Using train track would make a huge turntable. The monorail is a more practical size (but would cost more) As a matter of interest how big do turntables get in the US? Are/were there ones long enough turn a Big Boy?

Tim

Likewise, if you can get a hold of 4 curved monorail tracks, I’ve seen that used as the basis for a turntable also. The smooth top of the tracks makes a good running surface for any sort of motor-driven wheel.

-Jordan

I have no shortage of monorail track, so I’d like to use the monorail for the circle. It lends itself for a nice 20” (4 straights) diameter circle.

Figuring out how to build the “bridge” (what’s the technical term, trainheads?) isn’t an issue. The real magic is how to make one that works using motor(s) and sensors so it is automatic. Perhaps I am spoiled by my Marklin turntable!

This one looked promising, but the 24 outer segments don’t lend themselves for good track geometry. (24 segments on 360 degrees is 15 degrees per segment. TrackDraw rotation is 22.5 degrees) And having the motor down the bridge means a wire that will ultimately twists.