 Trains / 29882
Re: RC 'engine' availability?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:07:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Wayne Jackson wrote:
I have picked through the Lego site, will they ever release only the RC
platform or will it only be as a bundle?

Hi Wayne,

If I understand correctly, you are asking whether you will be able to buy the
R/C train electronic components separately from a train set?

For the current IR train platform, I think the answer is no.  LEGO issued a
communication a while back stating that this platform, and 9V trains, would be
superseded by a Power Functions-compatible system.  From all indications, this
will use the current RC train motor in conjunction with a Power
Functions-compatible IR transmitter/receiver and some kind of a rechargeable
battery.  These new components are to be tentatively released in 2009.  When
that happens, perhaps LEGO will release the electronics separately from a train
set.  It may also happen that some of the Power Functions components, now
available separately, will be usable with the train components (such as the IR
receiver).

Also, the current 9V train motor and battery boxes (available separately) should
function correctly if used with the current generation of RC trains.  So, if it
is an extra motor you need, you can go that route.  The only thing you won't be
able to get is the IR transmitter/receiver (and those can be found on Bricklink)

-Jordan