 Trains / 29867
  IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

Are you kidding me? SIX DAYS without a posting in trains???? This really sucks. And I only have myself to blame. And I blame the holidays for my recent inactivity, but that only goes back so far. So, I'm pledging to return to the days when my mouth (...) (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

TRAINS! Russell (BayLTC) (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) Dude...I'm all for cheap-shots...and pizza. I love pizza. :-) -Dave "Keepin' it real in T-Town wit da 6-wide Trizzains. Holla at ya fool!" (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) Okay, I will start. I'm in need of examples of GOOD/GREAT and functional turntables. We'll worry about a roundhouse later. I've knitted together hundreds (400+) 8x8 plates and placed them on 4 large baseplates. So I have the ultimate (...) (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) I don't have any pics off-hand, but the best designs I've seen use a circle of 9volt track for the base of the turntable, and a 9volt motor set under the spinning track. Come to think of it, the power functions motor and plastic track would be (...) (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

I'm extremely guilty of not replying to other people's MOCs here on Lugnet. As for new stuff, I don't have anything I thought was post-worthy. I haven't started on either of my two future train projects, but I have been having a little fun with the (...) (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) No it can't, because I don't have one! (perhaps you were referring to Ross';-) lol Good to hear from you, Tony! :-) JOHN (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) Likewise, if you can get a hold of 4 curved monorail tracks, I've seen that used as the basis for a turntable also. The smooth top of the tracks makes a good running surface for any sort of motor-driven wheel. -Jordan (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) I don't have any pictures, since I had to dismantle it when I moved, but I had pretty good luck using a technic turntable, driven by a worm gear. The span consisted of four pieces of straight track, built up with some plates and tiles to make (...) (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) I don't have any pics to post yet but I just finished one of my most challenging steam locomotives to date. (URL) & Western Y6b> I've got a few other projects in the planing stages. Just need to get to building. Cale Steam Rules (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) I'm sorry, I guess I'm just so used to you being talented by association. :D --Tony (16 years ago, 17-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) Using train track would make a huge turntable. The monorail is a more practical size (but would cost more) As a matter of interest how big do turntables get in the US? Are/were there ones long enough turn a Big Boy? Tim (...) (16 years ago, 18-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) T'other Tim seems to have moved to an internet dead zone in Australia, hence the lack of new MOCs from him, but as per the terms of the newsgroup, I have responded! ;-) I've been so busy recently, my company is moving head office and I'm in (...) (16 years ago, 18-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) I have no shortage of monorail track, so I'd like to use the monorail for the circle. It lends itself for a nice 20" (4 straights) diameter circle. Figuring out how to build the "bridge" (what's the technical term, trainheads?) isn't an issue. (...) (16 years ago, 18-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) Tim, I'd be happy to assist you as a curator of the Trains newsgroup. Just let me know what you'd like me to do! -Jordan (16 years ago, 18-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) The Pennsylvania RR engine terminal in (URL) Crestline OH.> had a 110 ft. turntable. This was just big enough to turn most of the Pennsy's largest steamers (probably with some overhang). The PRR had an even larger 125 ft. turntable installed (...) (16 years ago, 18-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> (...) Any time oyu can bring a Star Trek reference into a discussion, you get a +5 modifier! Dave K (16 years ago, 18-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) The Big Boy I created sits on 7 pieces of track. (URL) L.Andrew Reynolds GtwLUG, St Louis (16 years ago, 18-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) My PC broke and I have no internet from home (only my mobile phone) so I can only respond from work which I don't like doing too much. (...) No that's just laziness (although I did sneak in the one train). -- snipped IRL ;) -- (...) Thanks (...) (16 years ago, 21-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) ... snip ... Hello there fellow lurkers Now, I'll accept that I have been particularly lax in posting my achievements over the latter half of the last year, and John's message was just the kick up the a## I needed to stop lurking about and get (...) (16 years ago, 22-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) That was MORE than two cents worth, Chris! Excellent work! Especially the bethgon, which is a former project of mine:-) And if I might add to you and others who have posted in this thread: please start your own threads with new MOCs and (...) (16 years ago, 22-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) Thanks John The only thing I know for certain is that they cost me a lot more than 2 cents! I have built up quite a fleet of some of these cars, I have a sizable unit train of both spine cars (6x3) and bulk carriers (6x2) which are both very (...) (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) Nah. "Huge" is such a relative term;-) (...) UP had a few turntables that could turn Big Boys; otherwise they would just use wyes. Not sure about modern one, though. JOHN (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) (snip) John, NGLTC did a train show this past weekend, (Jan 19-20). Due to time constraints, the layout was similar to the one that was done at our last show in November. New parts of the layout included some additional Cafe Corners with an (...) (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) Sounds great, Scott-- I look forward to seeing them. But why not on Brickshelf? I have to admit that I hesitate going to Flickr-- I just feel more comfy viewing LEGO MOCs on BS. Ahem, and be sure to start your own thread! :-) JOHN (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) You seem to be rather protective of YOUR thread ;) Are we not worthy? Do we polute your thread? Ooops I appear to have stood on your grass :p Chris (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) I know that you are kidding, but it is for the sake of the poster that I am concerned! This is a crummy, rant thread, unworthy to have MOC posts of others buried in it! Also, it makes it very hard to search for MOCs in the future when things (...) (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) ... Snip ... (...) O be patient ranting one WIP will come and go but MOCs will be announced and posted when it is their time. Ohmmmm ... And to strike a serious note (I am rarely serious) - I fully agree with your point. If I was posting (...) (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> (...) I've never deemed any of your rants to be 'crummy'--what other colourful words I may have used to describe your rants aside... :p And this thread is worthy. At the very least, it's (...) (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: IT'S TOO DARN QUIET!!!!!!

(...) John, Ok, I usually let JT start the NGLTC threads, but I wanted to make things less quiet... As for Brickshelf...well, I forgot my password, and never got a reply for a password reset...and, there was that whole "Brickshelf is closing" (...) (16 years ago, 23-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)