 Trains / 2805
Re: More Questions from Another Train Newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:27:26 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

One more all LEGO solution, which also maintains the geometry:

4. turnout

It takes two turnouts to completely isolate one section from another...
each turnout only isolates one rail, so you mount them back to back
facing in opposite directions.

Of course for many isolation purposes, one rail is sufficient. In fact,
in most model railroad wiring, one rail is left connected throughout the
layout as a ground. The problem with trying to do this with LEGO trains
is that there is no indication of which lead from the controller is
ground and which is not (I assume there is a ground, but perhaps not),
so you would have pay carefull attention as you're connecting things up.

The isolation the turnout provides however is just fine for creating
holding tracks. Run a train into a holding track and stop it. Then
switch the turnout(s) to activate another train on a different holding
track and start running that train.

Model railroader's use this form of cheap isolation all the time (except
those who use Atlas Snap Track - it has jumpers underneath across the
points so that all rails are powered - note that the frog is insulated
to prevent shorts).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com