 Trains / 2730
Re: More Questions from Another Train Newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 02:15:08 GMT

John Gerlach wrote:

I'm going to disagree with John2 here - there is a time when multiple speed
regulators would be handy:  If your layout gets to be so large that you're
getting a voltage drop on the far side of the layout.  The GMLTC is starting
to get see problem on our layout, we're thinking of adding a second set of
speed regulators on the opposite side of the layout.  (The main lines on our
layout are around 65 - 70 feet long...)  You definitely need to make sure your
polarity is the same, otherwise I'm sure there would be problems of some sort.

Strongly suggest that you put gaps in to divide the track into 2
sections. Then, except for when a motor is bridging the gap between
sections, there is no connection between one regulator and another.

Ludo may disagree but I think it's a good idea not to directly connect
two puwer supplies for any length of time, especially relatively
unregulated ones.

But then, Maxwell's equations are why I am a CE and not an EE.