 Trains / 2728
Re: More Questions from Another Train Newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:21:42 GMT

ode)
Someday we want to get a bunch of train clubs together to set a new world's
record for the longest Lego train track.  I'm thinking one circuit around the
concourse of the Metrodome in Minneapolis, that would be around a half mile.
I'm thinking we'd need 25 speed regulators - or more!
(/dream mode)

No, all we would need is a busbar with connectors every 25-50 ft of track. (IE
a plate connector every 25-50 ft, connected by a heavy (in this case, something
like #12 or so gauge wire)  All you want to do is to reduce the resistance so
that you don't get as much of a voltage drop.  Same thing on your layout.

(experiment)
Take about 100 lenghts of straight track, and a circle of track.  Lay it out as
50 straights a side, with the circles at each end (or something like...all
you really need is a large loop, with it being reasonably close together in
the middle).  Now, take the transformer and hook it up in the middle (at say
the 13th from one end.) Take a heavy train, and run it around.  Set the
transformer to 2, and see how it speeds up and slows down.  It will be slowest
directly opposite the connector.  Add a second connector, on the other line
(directly across from the first one)  Link it up to the first one using a 128cm
wire, and connect them both to the transformer.  (you may have to turn them 180
so that you are not getting a dead short).  Now repeat your trial, and you will
find that there is much less droop on the far side, because the wire has much
less resistance than the track.

(normal model railroad procedure)

James P