 Trains / 27601
Re: 7-Wide BNSF & TTX Intermodal Train & Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:02:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David VinZant wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
--SNIP--
I'm not sure how many pieces are in the locomotive. It's considerably
heavier than the standard BNSF set. 7-wides seem closer in weight to
8-wides than 6-wide, probably due to the extra weight of all the plates
used in the bases.
I was curious about the weight.  I have a suspicion that the new
battery-powered IR motors would not be able to perform well at all with
7-wide stuff.  All the more reasont to save 9V trains!

I think there's more to worry about than the weight. I've not been able to
figure out any decent way of getting a seven wide shell over the six wide
baseplate that IR requires. I've tried covering it with snotted panels,
tiles and various other things but am yet to find a satisfactory
arrangement. Until someone proves otherwise I'm fairly satisfied that an IR
baseplate cannot be used properly with seven-wide.
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=169528 This> is the closest
to reasonable I can think of.

Tim

Tim,

Here is an idea I just put together. It uses many of the 1x2-2x2 Brackets.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/legotrains/DesignStudy/7wide/7wide03.jpg

I guess the only downside is that you have studs running the length of the
train. Then again it does give it a nice textured look.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/legotrains/DesignStudy/7wide/7wide01.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/legotrains/DesignStudy/7wide/7wide02.jpg

Dave
www.GPLR.org

Hi David,

I've actually tried something similar to that before but didn't like the studs.
The other problem with it is that it may not work since real studs are a little
taller than half a plate.

The best I've come up with so far is something like this

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/timgould/temp/7wide6wide1.png
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/timgould/temp/7wide6wide2.png

but it takes up a lot of space just to get your seven-wide and isn't really
worth it IMO.

Tim

Tim