 Trains / 27599
Re: 7-Wide BNSF & TTX Intermodal Train & Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:31:23 GMT

--SNIP--

   I’m not sure how many pieces are in the locomotive. It’s considerably heavier than the standard BNSF set. 7-wides seem closer in weight to 8-wides than 6-wide, probably due to the extra weight of all the plates used in the bases.
I was curious about the weight. I have a suspicion that the new battery-powered IR motors would not be able to perform well at all with 7-wide stuff. All the more reasont to save 9V trains!

I think there’s more to worry about than the weight. I’ve not been able to figure out any decent way of getting a seven wide shell over the six wide baseplate that IR requires. I’ve tried covering it with snotted panels, tiles and various other things but am yet to find a satisfactory arrangement. Until someone proves otherwise I’m fairly satisfied that an IR baseplate cannot be used properly with seven-wide. This is the closest to reasonable I can think of.

   Lastly, building a 7-wide plate arrangement is no big deal but how do you get the hole centered for the bogies to attach? Is there a plate with holes I’m not thinking of or do you have to use Technic lift-arms (or whatever they call them)?

This might help MPD. The MPD is slightly wrong in that I found using 1x4 technic plates were too short in real life and always came off when I pulled the bogies off but 1x6 or longer work quite well.

Tim