 Trains / 27597
Re: 7-Wide BNSF & TTX Intermodal Train & Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:07:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, J. Spencer Rezkalla wrote:

In my personal experience, most 7-wide trains run well on layouts with standard curves. IMO 7-wide is in a nice sweet spot between 6-wide practicality and the extra detail of 8-wides. On the subject of scale, 7-wides also blend in reasonably well with 6-wides in the same layout.

Great. These answers, along with the info Ben provided, are the answers I was hoping for. You’ve really given my the urge to get some 7-wide equipment of my own. Of course wanting it and being able to build it are two different things :-) If you ever create MPDs for any of your stuff and feel like sharing I for one would be very interested in them. Between the 7-wide techniques, the SNOT work, and the studless-ness, I think it would be quite educational for a lot of folks in the community.

Back on the topic of good ole 6-wides...

   Here’s a yard shot of my 7-wide Super Chief and a TTX set mixed in with a whole bunch of Steve Ringe’s gorgeous 6-wide rolling stock.

Where I can see more of Steve’s work? Does he have a Brickshelf folder? That rolling stock does look gorgeous.

SNIP

Back to 7-wides...

   I’m not sure how many pieces are in the locomotive. It’s considerably heavier than the standard BNSF set. 7-wides seem closer in weight to 8-wides than 6-wide, probably due to the extra weight of all the plates used in the bases.
I was curious about the weight. I have a suspicion that the new battery-powered IR motors would not be able to perform well at all with 7-wide stuff. All the more reasont to save 9V trains!

Lastly, building a 7-wide plate arrangement is no big deal but how do you get the hole centered for the bogies to attach? Is there a plate with holes I’m not thinking of or do you have to use Technic lift-arms (or whatever they call them)?

Thanks again,

Paul D.