 Trains / 27590
Re: 7-Wide BNSF & TTX Intermodal Train & Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:24:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:

   Spencer,

These are beautiful. I haven’t seen a lot of 7-wide stuff and this really shows off its potential wonderfully. Can you share any experience in terms of running 7-wide vs. 6-wide/8-wide? I’m curious how these would look running on a 6-wide layout with standard curves. Do you have a rough feel for how many pieces went into the locomotive?

In my personal experience, most 7-wide trains run well on layouts with standard curves. IMO 7-wide is in a nice sweet spot between 6-wide practicality and the extra detail of 8-wides. On the subject of scale, 7-wides also blend in reasonably well with 6-wides in the same layout. Here’s a yard shot of my 7-wide Super Chief and a TTX set mixed in with a whole bunch of Steve Ringe’s gorgeous 6-wide rolling stock.

However the lengths of my TTX intermodal cars are pretty close to the limits of standard track geometry. They just barely clear standard switches and tend to slide somewhat sideways through the switches. It’s kind of amusing to watch.

I’m not sure how many pieces are in the locomotive. It’s considerably heavier than the standard BNSF set. 7-wides seem closer in weight to 8-wides than 6-wide, probably due to the extra weight of all the plates used in the bases.

Thanks for everyone’s kind comments in this thread.

Spencer