 Trains / 22414
Re: Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:08:09 GMT

Anyone out there with more wifi experience to know if this could come to be?  If
done a few brief searches on the web and haven't been able to find a wifi based
radio control unit intended for the hobby market.

Thoughts?

There are wifi stuff already out. G scale commonly uses radio control.

The main issue is, of course, the battery... It's a pain in the butt...

I've used a 27 mHz hobby setup powering a 4.5V motor before.  It worked quite
well, for about 1 hour at a time.  However, it required 10 N cell batteries to
power it.

It fit into a battery car that had the guts cut out of it (I have a spare...).
I think that there are better possible solutions than how I hacked that
together, but it did work.

I prefer DCC to radio, because it removes the batteries from the equation.
Especially given that I model in more than just Lego.  So, for me I would still
have to have DCC equippped stuff- a KoF III is a very small loco in HO scale.
(It's a bit smaller than a 100HP sentinel in OO, but not much...)

James