 Trains / 22354
Re: Idea for a track power pickup for non motored trains...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:57:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ben Fleskes wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
Ben Fleskes wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Dean Husby wrote: <snip>
Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC

Gee, when I saw your name as a responder I was looking for some kind of
big announcement here :)

Chris

I've thought about this and don't see any long term potential.  Power pickup
from tracks is one of the most challenging aspects of the model railroading. The
lego solution is one of the best I've seen, LGB actually runs contacts on the
track.  There has to be a better way.

Perhaps somewhere down the road, somebody will figure out a wifi radio control
unit.  Put a battery and receiver in the train and you are done. There are so
many advantages of not having to wory about connecting power to the track -
especially when you do complicated layout.  A wifi system could have all the
advantages of DCC, but without the drawback of providing power through the
rails.

Anyone out there with more wifi experience to know if this could come to be?  If
done a few brief searches on the web and haven't been able to find a wifi based
radio control unit intended for the hobby market.

Well actually this was just done by Brian Willams. Anybody who knows him knows
he isn't afraid to modify parts and he's usually ahead of the game when it comes
to electronics. Anyway what he did was put the RC board out of a RC technic car
into the shell of his 8 wide super chief. While he was working on this he
discovered that the board was exactly 6 studs wide which just made the
conversion easier. Anyhoo if you would like to see the RC train engine in action
it will be displayed for the first time March 6-7 at Highwheeler 2004.

Highwheeler 2004
Harper College
See the following link for directions and address

http://www.harpercollege.edu/contact/directions.shtml

Thoughts?

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC