 Trains / 22353
Re: Train poster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:10:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Chuck Kabesh wrote:
I have updated my train poster and virtual MOCs on my web page.

http://www3.telus.net/chuck

Very pretty. I like the background choice too. Was that shot taken in the
Frasier River gorge, then?

While I was re-modeling the locomotive I included the wheel that I've noticed in
the nose of an actual SD in the switchyard near the Westminster Quay. My
question is: what is the purpose of the wheel?

Handbrake, I believe.

Snip

Hope that helps. If I'm wrong, you'll know soon enough, a lot of experts hang
out here.

Thanks for the info. My first guess would have been a brake but I certainly
wasn't going to guess out loud... not with all the experts here.

The background scene is a shot of Pryamid Mountain in Jasper National Park,
Alberta. If you noticed the cut-banks behind the trees, they are where the CN
mainline runs, about 2 kilometers west of the townsite, along the banks of the
Athabasca River. Waved at many an engineer from those cut-banks when I was but a
young Chuck.