 Trains / 22413
Re: Train poster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:03:32 GMT

Handbrake, I believe.

Yes, they are handbrakes.

EVERYTHING (that might enter interchange service) has to have a handbrake, if I
am not mistaken, even locomotives that normally are powered have that
requirement.

Why? Sometimes locomotives are shipped from place to place and set out on
sidings, with their diesel off. In that case you'd want to be able to set the
handbrake so the locomotive doesn't roll away.

It doesn't particularly matter- the way that brakes are dealt with on trains now
is that they are a fail on device.  I think that the hand brake wheel is to take
the brakes OFF rather than put them on- I don't do enough with NA stuff to know
for sure, but I know that 26L and all westinghouse brakes are fail on rather
than fail off (If the air pressure drops to 0 psi, the brakes go full on)

James