 Trains / 17142
Re: 5 points<long post>
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 15:35:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dan Voelkerding writes:
If you could have 5 requests from Lego, what would they be?
Here are mine:

[snip]

my wishlist:

1. bigger drive wheels for steam engines in colour red and black (with an
excenter hole for a technic peg => moving connecting rods) and with the
possibility to connect them to a technic axle for synchronous drive).

2. quarter sections of straight track.

3. red 9v wheel sets and 'motor sidings' in red

4. three wide doors (as the brown crocodile engine at lego.com has it).

5. a bucket with an assortment of different train parts of all kind.

Leg Godt!

Ben

P.s.:

I have realised a few things:
1.Lego won't make a 9v motor with 6 wheels unless it is a total re-design.
2.The 4551 won't ever be re-released.
3.TLC can't satisfy the world market.
4.Steam engines are more complicated then they look.
5.Lego should make a new steam engine, either a British or German.
Explanation:
1.Look at the spacing of the motor, it is 4 studs(I think). Try that with
regular wheels, I don't think it would work around the points.

It worked in the eighties with 12 V. I see no problem in 9V. TLC only had to
release a wheel that could be connected to the whole in the midle of the
motor.

2.It is worth way to much for collecters. Remeber the Metroliner, you • could get
away with charging someone around 500 dollars, but now who would pay more • than
$149(USD).

Maybe it is my weak knowledge of English language, but I do miss the point
here: 4558 and 4551 have been high priced and much loved sets in the
aftermarket. TLC rereleased 4558 and it seemed to work for them: why should it
not work with 4551?

[snip]
3+4 Steam Engines are very simple.
Simple but more complicated then they look? ;-)

I think people have no problems with the worldwide different designs of
engines: I bought a Santa Fe engine (in fact by far more than one) despite it
is an US prototype and not a German.
I would definitely buy a (nice) French steam engine or a Britisch one as well
as a German if it was a good Lego design and came with useful parts.

5.I think a British Engine would be better, most of them were green, some
even had inside valve gear and cylinders so that would be real simple.

In my opinion that would be a really dissappointing idea: I dislike the idea
to have no chance for moving rods and valves. That would be useless for any
none-British MOCs.

And take away 4565, Make a train set with the SFSC, if TLC was smart, they
would put a B-unit in that and it would be a best seller.

Dan

I think they need 2 starter sets like 4560 and 4565. A complete Santa Fe train
costs easiely more than 500 bucks as shown here:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=17080