 Trains / 17147
Re: 5 points<long post>
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:39:44 GMT

Huw Millington wrote:

"John Gerlach" <john.gerlach@bestbuy.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:H0DKpp.9nt@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Dan Voelkerding writes:
If you could have 5 requests from Lego, what would they be?

Ok, since you asked:

1:  Larger radius curved track.  The current track geometry is good for
small layouts, but difficult to work with for larger trains and larger
layouts.  There are rumors that LEGO is already working on this.

Let's hope so, but let's hope also that the turnout geometry is fixed to
allow a proper crossover between two tracks a standard width apart and for
more realistic siding formations. Tricky, I agree, and the current setup is
better than the 4.5v/12v configuration, I suppose...

Actually, I would argue that the 4.5v/12v turnouts have a better
geometry than the 9v. Adjacent tracks touching looks a lot better (and
gets more yard into a small space) than adjacent tracks being so far
apart. Of course the 4.5v/12v geometry isn't suitable for 8-wide, but
I'm more than happy to stick with 6-wide.

The problem with turnout geometry is that there are only two basic
geometries which really work well with sectional track. The geometry TLC
has used (either the 4.5v/12v one or the 9v one) which makes for
parallel tracks, or a geometry where a turnout is exactly equal to a
curve and a straight track (which is actually hard to do since that
forces the points to come right up to the end of the track section).

Any other geometry is very difficult to use with sectional track.

This ultimately is why I suspect we will actually never see any new
track geometry. I just can't imagine enough justification for it in a
toy, especially a toy in which trains are just a portion of the whole
brand. Even the wooden track systems don't have than many different
pieces, and that's a toy system almost exclusively for trains.

Frank