 Trains / 17144
Re: 5 points<long post>
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:08:50 GMT

John wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains, Dan Voelkerding writes:
If you could have 5 requests from Lego, what would they be?

Ok, since you asked:

1:  Larger radius curved track.

Yup.

I am beginning to think that there is no real hope for this from TLC. I
just don't think they can justify the R&D cost, the production ramp up
cost, and the division of volume amongst more track components. The
current track components work fine for toys.

2:  Larger driver wheels for our steam train creations.

Yup.

This is probably the most likely wish to happen, especially if they are
designed to fit over a Technic peg or axle (meaning only one new mold).
The train motor can sit in the tender or something. A diameter slightly
larger than the large 12v wheels would be good (smaller than the old
spoked wheel which may be too large for reliable running).

3:  An American-style diesel freight engine.  The Super Chief is a nice
model for the passenger trains, what about us freight fans?

There is a good chance of this, however, I think the next engine they do
should be non-US.

I'd settle for a complete overhaul of train wheels to American-style Bettendorf
trucks.  This possibly would be my number 1.  Redesign the couplers, but I'm
going to use non-LEGO anyway, so I really don't care if they do or not.  A new
element to fit over the 9 volt train motor that gives the appearance of an EMD
Blomberg truck would be nice...

Another item I doubt we will ever see from TLC.

4:  More dark red elements, for modeling train lines with that color.
Wisconsin & Southern; Duluth, Misabee & Iron Range; and Twin Cities &
Western are three just in my neck of the world that have dark red coloring.
And, lets throw in some dark green, for those BNSF colors.  <grin>

Sounds good.  And more dark blue (for Minneapolis, Northfield, and Southern:-)

Ok, this is actually the most likely wish to be satisfied.

Frank