 Trains / 17080
Re: Santa Fe Cars - now on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:22:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message

I just wanted to ask about pricing of the Santa Fe coaches:

I have heard about a 5-waggons-kit for a discount price of 148$. Is that • true
and what is the number to order?

For Germany that kit has already been announced for 179 Eur (obviously the
price we pay for the absence of Mega-Bloks in Europe, since 1Eur = 1$)

But there is no number for the kit available in the German part of S@H • also.
If I now pre-order my five cars: will they cost me the 200 bucks or do I • get
the discount price of 179 Eur? (Same for US-Folks: will the first buyers • now
have to pay 5x35$=175$ instead of 148$ when the discount will have been
announced?)

To be fair, remember that EU prices will include VAT.
Whereas there is no sales tax added to mail order products in the US, other
than in the state they are shipped from (or something to that effect)

As such, if you add VAT to the US price it comes out around the same

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

of course you are right. But still there is the difference between the Santa
Fe (40$ in the US and 40 Eur in Germany) and the coaches (35$ but 40 Eur). The
engine has more parts and a probably somewhat better part collection. In my
eyes the coaches are too expensive in relation to the engine.

And second thing I do not understand:

5 coaches in the US are (if 'rumors' are true) 148 against 175$ =>18% discount

5 coaches in Germany will be 179 Eur against 200 Eur =>18% discount => 12%
discount.

In general Germany has often had quite reasonable prices (especially in
comparison to the UK), so I will not claim any more about too high costs for
these sets. But a complete Santa Fe is not a cheap hobby. For A-B-A units you
need 4 Sets 10020 = 160 Eur
Then  5 sets of waggons = 179 Eur
2 further waggon sets for moc waggons (you need 'normal' passenger cars, dont
you?) = 80 Eur
2 motors = 70 Eur
2 light set = 18 (?)Eur

Sum: 507 Eur for 1 train! That is for sure an AFOLs train only.

Kind Regards,

Ben

(P.s.: I would definitely never buy Mega Bloks, but I would like to have them
in the shops as an argument against the Lego prices...)