 Trains / 16609
Re: Wow! New Train Engine Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:19:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:

John,

Wow! I cannot say enough about those engines! The rest of Ross's
brickself gallery--the cubed bricks, the name tags, the 3 wide
trains--are also extremely impressive. Thanks for sharing them with us,
and thanks for encouraging[1] Ross. These models make me want to get
into the steam game (don't know if I have it in me though).

Thanks for saying so, Chris.  I'll pass along the compliments to Ross.  He has
been extremely gratified by everyone's kind praise!

As far as encouragement goes, that's an interesting topic.  I have a daughter
who is 2 years older than Ross whom I *really* encouraged to play with LEGO.
She was the first; she was the one who built all of the sets I bought; Ross was
really just the little brother who watched.  She sort of lost interest and his
picked up, but I really don't remember how!  His interest and talent just sort
of appeared-- he really does amaze me.

By the way, great pictures. Have you noticed that no one has
complained about the lack of detail in the pictures. Black LEGO is such
an unforgiving subject, and you have managed to capture it
beautifully![2]

[1] or not discouraging Ross from playing with LEGO. Some parents just
don't get it.

[2] Outside on an overcast day, sunny but in the shade? You used white
reflectors to throw the light where you needed it? Any great secrets to
share?

None, really.  Ideally, I try and shoot on a sunny day, and usually off of my
deck (but only for convenience-- the white background is actually just the
siding on my house:-)  For color sats, I've found that shooting with a late
afternoon sun work best, and having the sun directly behind object or at a 90
degree angle.

Another thing that I like to do is shoot from a Minifig's perspective, in order
to add some realism to the pic, especially if I'm shooting a train or a
building.  I really try to avoid shooting down on an MOC.

Thanks again for the compliments, Chris!

-John