 Trains / 16283
Re: Wow! New Train Engine Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 06:50:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

David VinZant wrote:

Go ahead and brag, thats one nice looking steam engine. Its alittle hard to
see all the details cause of the black bricks, but it realy captures the
look. How well does it handle turns, and can it make it through a switch?
Tell him to keep up the good work.

Hey Dave, thanks for the kind words.  Since the yet-to-be-revealed TCLTC
layout utilizes only curve-straight-curve-straight turns (with the hopes that
TLC is even now working on a gentler curve piece), Ross built only to that
compatibility, but he thinks that it will negotiate tight curves and points as
well.  We will set up a little test run tomorrow.

Incidentally, while Ross was completing his final test runs last week, we had
a VIP guest at our home-- Steve Barile of the PNLTC!

-John

Well a good run on a layout test the limits of any train. I too have built a
steam engine and have found that running the engine on a layout can find
many unseen problems.One problem I ran into was that I didnt have enough
play for the Up and Down movement of the nonlevel layout. So alot of times I
would have the engine derailing alot.

One of the things about my engine is that I use wheel hubs to achieve the
look of drive wheels. Now these wheels just roll across the track. The one
draw back is that you have to have guide wheels in the front and back of
these wheels. But they give a nice large drive wheel look that I wanted. So
the whole engine is connected at the back and swings as the train goes
through the corners. And if you look you can see a guide on the front
trucks, and that lets the whole top slide back and forth as the train
navigates the curves.

Well hope the further testing goes well

Dave

PS. I too am a member of the PNLTC so I know Steve. :)