 Trains / 11238
Re: Motor control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 17:57:14 GMT

Noh tere!

Jason J. Railton <j.j.railton@cwcom.net> wrote in message
news:GDDJD1.J0K@lugnet.com...
You can quite happily power the motor from the RCX without modification -
just don't supply any other power to the track.  This will also electrify
the track, and power any other motors on it too though.

If you break the connections to the wheels in one motor, you could always
use a second, empty motor housing to pick up power from the track.

The biggest problem (as I recall from messages posted posted here) is that
if you open a motor to modify it, re-assembling it is next to impossible, • as
you can't hold all the internal pieces together while you snap the casing
back on.

9V motors are quite easy to disassamble and reassamble, all you need is a
screw driver. I guess that is clear by now.

And yes there is a little room in the box which I just used in my latest
MOC - I added something this time just for testing, but went fairly easy. It
took me 2 evenings to make it fit in size, cause I did not want to glue it.
I should have some pictures up by the end of this month.

My next project is to keep the motor in the box but disconnect the
connection to the wheels, and the add some electronics to it.

So far the easiest way seems to be to add two (three) 12V outlets on the
motor, one for power out the other for powering the motor. The electronics
will be in the engine.

I have been thinking about using springs for picking up 12V on a 9V motor,
this is also a part of this which I will try to do in autum.
The idea is to use a H-bridge to power the motor and some other stuff which
I am still thinking about.

Tervitades,
Sonnich