 Trains / 11211
Re: 9V train motor(s????)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 12:36:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jeroen de Haan writes:
Hi,

I bought a 9V trainmotor on ebay, but the seller now claims it is an older
model and uses the 12V midrail to get its power, except it runs on 9V
instead of 12V. Can this be true?

Yes

Or am I fooled/tricked?

Yes again.

1) A 12v motor (without modification) WILL run on 9v if you put 9V on the
center power pickups (this can be done by using the screw on connectors on a
9V power lead that you cut). So the seller is technically correct. However,
you cannot put the 12V center power pickup parts onto 9V track, they do not
fit. You need 12v track. So you basically have to run an entire 12V layout,
just running it on 9v voltage.

2) However, I don't think any of us would call a 12v motor running on 9v a
"9v" motor... it is still a 12v motor. Unless the seller provided a pic and
that pic showed a 12v motor, he's being a bit deceptive if his listing said
it was a 9v motor. It's not.

Depending on how much you paid, it may be worth closing the deal rather than
insisting that the seller deliver you a 9v motor as described... as 12v
motors actually ARE worth (a little?) more than 9v ones. A brand new 9v
motor from US S@H is what, 29 USD? I have seen these 12V motors go for more
than that usually, when in good condition.

Although I agree with Jason's *sentiment* in his response, good luck getting
eBay to help you at all. They don't work that way. They are a venue and have
very carefully disclaimed any responsibility for what sellers offer or
whether the goods are as described. They have thousands of examples of where
something like this has happened and it never has been pinnable as their fault.

All you can do is leave negative feedback for the seller. And if this seller
has less feedback than you, that is fraught with peril as doing so means he
no doubt will leave negative feedback for you, besmirching your reputation.

FUT probably ought to be to some market group, perhaps .theory... so I set
it there.