 Trains / 11239
Re: cramming details into 6 studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 18:09:02 GMT

Bryan Kinkel <helpdesk@loseyourmind.com> wrote in message
news:GDDvG2.Lrv@lugnet.com...
I knew this would start a 6 vs. 8 debate... But that was not the goal of • the
initial post.

The goal is to get some feedback on how this can be done in 6 wide. If • there
are no creative, cost effective solutions, then I will probably settle for • a
less than accurate 6 wide commuter car rather than jump to 8 wide.

Bryan:
But I'm having difficulty picturing in my mind how to cram all the end
details into just 6 studs.

John:
Then why do it?

a) My layout has both MOCs and official Lego train models, so I want to
stick with 6 wide.
b) Space is tight on my layout. I don't want 8 wide cars scraping against • my
wall as they fly by.
c) 6 wide is certainly a challenge. And I'm interested to see what the
creative minds in the group can come up with.

6 studs is the standard and I like to stick to that too. But in between they
can be both 5 and 7 wide to fit details.
Also buildning 8 wide also means longer cars (50 studs long) and it is all
costing. If you make a car wider it will look odd if you don't make it
longer too.

Space is also a problem, for 12V it is not a good idea to build 8 wide, that
would cause accidents right away.

Keep in mind that it is models, if you want it real you have to build in a
1:1 scale. *real* model trains are also modified (the scale I mean)
otherwise they would break by touching them.

Eventually you will find a way.
Good luck and take your time!

Sonnich