 Trains / 11221
Re: cramming details into 6 studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 16:19:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Well, that's the point.  The proportions are *wrong* to begin with
in 6 wide-- if you are trying to model to scale.  But that's okay;
I mean, compression happens;-)  It's just a matter of deciding *where*
you want to compress.  Length is the obvious choice, given the tight
diameter track curves and the brick usage issues.  But I have found
that a little more width goes a long way....

Again, I disagree.

The body to truck proportions are wrong, yes. But, at least in my models,
the LxWxH proportions are more or less correct. Sometimes the height is a
bit too high for the width (maybe in the 'bug, for example) but not always.
Maybe you were making YOUR models out of proportion, way back when you were
doing 6wide, but don't generalise to everyone else's.

So, to pick an example, for me to make my PCC (or SW, or bulkhead flat)
model 8 wide and still have it look good (to my eye) would require adding
*length and height* as well as width. Not *just* width.

That is a perspective shared by most folks, I believe, no matter whether
they prefer to model in one width or the other, or both.

But to Bryan's original point, he's asking about how to get windows 3
across. I guess I'd just advise that he went with the same approach I used
in my SW.... Use 3 2 wide windows. I stagger them by one plate in height, he
could stagger them by 1/2 brick in position to get the indented door effect

The downside is that you get a 1 stud wide visible blockage (in my case,
blockage with another window frame). But I'd argue that for a subway car,
the windows make up most of the width. Having a 1 stud wide outside edge
(which you'd get if you went with 3 2 wide windows on an 8 wide body) would
to me anyway look funny. Maybe not quite as funny as having half the window
filled with the view of a window frame, though.

++Lar