 Trains / 11224
Re: cramming details into 6 studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 17:17:18 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
But to Bryan's original point, he's asking about how to get windows 3
across. I guess I'd just advise that he went with the same approach I used
in my SW.... Use 3 2 wide windows. I stagger them by one plate in height, he
could stagger them by 1/2 brick in position to get the indented door effect

The downside is that you get a 1 stud wide visible blockage (in my case,
blockage with another window frame). But I'd argue that for a subway car,
the windows make up most of the width. Having a 1 stud wide outside edge
(which you'd get if you went with 3 2 wide windows on an 8 wide body) would
to me anyway look funny. Maybe not quite as funny as having half the window
filled with the view of a window frame, though.

You could mostly avoid this (seeing the side wall through the back window)
by using a thin wall immediately behind the window.  That would mean that to
see the wall through the window you'd need to be straight on to the car,
*and* squinting. ;)

Another possibility is to use 1x2 clear bricks, although that means you've
got a frame-less window, which might look odd.

Try using a pair of 1x2x2 thin walls sideways to the back to form a window
(as so --> [] ). No glass, but you've opened up your color options.

That's a good option.

I bet there are some SNOT methods also - in fact, how about a 1x2 clear
brick on end, studs out. Cap it with a tile and attach it with to a 1x
plate on the bottom (against the door). The 1x plate and the tile form
the frame (with the tile also making the car side flush. It will be a
little tricky to make the door inset, but it could probably be managed.
One way would be to use a 2x2 tile and attach the SNOT portion to the
side wall as opposed to the door.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com