 Trains / 11217
Re: cramming details into 6 studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 14:39:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel writes:
Doing my cars 6 wide certainly has advantages as far as brick usage, etc.
But I'm having difficulty picturing in my mind how to cram all the end
details into just 6 studs.

For example - Jake just posted a photo that really shows the details common
to commuter cars (at least the ones I have seen).

Here we have 2 windows and a door that are about the same size across. In a
6 stud wide car, I would probably make the door 2 wide, set back by a half
or whole stud. The side windows become tricky with only two studs available
on either side of the the door.

Check out Dan Siskind's design on the GMLTC's new subway cars:
http://www.brickmania.com/gallery/train2/more_trains.html

He used the 1x2x3 train window on the driver's side, with a 1x2x3 'thin
wall' behind it.  The door is exactly what you proposed - the small black
airplane window set back a half stud.  The other side is simply a 1x2
technic beam, with another 1x2x3 'thin wall' behind it.

We might cheat and use a non-LEGO light for a headlamp (gasp!), but if you
want to use a LEGO 9volt light you should have just enough room to squeeze
one in there.

BTW:  The subway station in Dan's pictures has been completed, and the train
station above it is almost done.  Looke for a few 'teaser' pictures soon!

JohnG, GMLTC