 Trains / 11213
11212  |  11214
Subject:
cramming details into 6 studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 13:11:00 GMT

I have been gathering photos of commuter trains in order to build SEPTA
(Philadelphia transit) cars for my layout. While I have not actually sat
down to build, I have been doing a lot of thinking on 6 vs. 8 wide and how
it will impact my design.

Doing my cars 6 wide certainly has advantages as far as brick usage, etc.
But I'm having difficulty picturing in my mind how to cram all the end
details into just 6 studs.

For example - Jake just posted a photo that really shows the details common
to commuter cars (at least the ones I have seen).

Here we have 2 windows and a door that are about the same size across. In a
6 stud wide car, I would probably make the door 2 wide, set back by a half
or whole stud. The side windows become tricky with only two studs available
on either side of the the door. Window options might include --

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2377 - however the open sides
create a problem.
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=7026 - were these ever made in
gray?
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=4035 - these are tough to come
by in current sets (Lego Direct??!!!).
See http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4035 for inventories!
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=6231 - perhaps using two black
to simulate a window?

So I'm obviously running into issues in my initial thoughts about a 6 wide
commuter car. Any thoughts?

And Jake - thanks for posting those photos to Brickshelf. Very cool.

Bryan