 Town / 685
Re: Town on wheels (was Re: Millennium City)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:41:13 GMT

I'm not really sure how many roadplates I can fit within 48", (four or five
is my guess), but I'd like to build a little bit wider than that.  An
alternative would be to make the anti-doughnut--the town as an island with a
2'" walkaround--but then I'm not sure if I could reach everything without a
_9 to 5_ garage-door opener setup.

The baseplates are 10" each, so they would overhang by 2" on a 48" sheet.  I
have ply on the floor of my lego room.  The major portion of my city is on the
floor, with a shelf hung on the walls at about 48" high, with a opening for the
door.  The only real problem is getting the train up to the top level, and it
goes up around the walls.  The train has to go in reverse down the track, which
is kind of a bad thing with heavy trains...you have to split them to take them
down the hill...5 bogie cars/motor is the limit going downhill.  Strangely, I
can manage 6 or so going uphill, but downhill is harder to do without speed
becoming a issue.  (you'd think I would learn not to have the steepest part end
on a curve!)  Problems with floor level lego: walking on the MF's.  The
roadways cannot have all that many cars on them, and it is harder to take
photographs in place.  However, it does allow for tall buildings (9 stories)

(My wife says I'm a few bricks shy of a blue tub--I wonder what she means?)
LOL!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2049

and look for NLC

James P