 Town / 656
Re: Millennium City
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:17:26 GMT

Re: Millennium: All good stuff, Maynard!

I'm doing my first town. Since it has acquired one or two emerging characters, I
thought of doing a day-in-the-life walkthrough. Sort of a Bill and Mary episode.
This would supplement the do-it-yourself walking tours and "postcard" views.
Another tour would be "Famous Citizens of Miniville": meet the show-biz stars
who grew up here, see their beautiful (or not) homes, that sort of routine.

This town is based on my real-life village. The architecture makes for some
difficult problems: hills, railroad, bridge of shops, twisty roads, apartment
buildings, every building a different arts-and-crafts style.

There are a few observations I want to build in.

1. There is never just one Chinese takeout. Or laundromat. Ergo, two grocery
stores are needed, right across from each other. Ditto bank branches. But one
bike shop or comic shop will do. I'm going with just one movie theatre. Florists
is plural for flower shop. Since we all know that bars proliferate, I need not
make that point, so, one pub (we'll see.)

2. There are never enough parking spots. In fact there aren't any, so all the
curbs are parked full. (Lego doesn't make a No Parking sign.)

3. It's scary to ride a bus on twisty roads... there is a use for those spring-
loaded wheels!

4. You can never tell where those sirens come from. No fire or police stations
in my town--but lots of emergency vehicles passing through.

6. Efficiency apartments are brutally small. I wish I could convey the rent, for
shock value.

7. Every shop has its own visual clutter. Start with big canvas awnings.

8. Finally, I will make you all cry: I've found Timmy a home.

I need Lego pigeons. Legions of them.
-Erik Olson