 Town / 652
Re: Millennium City
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:27:43 GMT

Brian Sauls wrote in message ...

All those tiles.  All those town sets that I never owned.  All those trees!
You realize, of course, that I hate you now.<g>

A truly spectacular job.  I love the detailing with the minifigs--it
provides a true sense of action and accurately portrays a bustling town.
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Some questions--How far in advance did you plan?

The city took 18 months to plan.  From the time I tore down my previous 6x5
roadplate town in Jan 1998 to the time I constructed Millennium City in
October 1999.

The city plan grew as I purchased more and more sets during that time.  Big
increases in the size of the town occurred when I decided to purchase the
Shell Stadium, when I decided to build a harbour and decided to increase the
size of the airport.  Having a friend at LEGO NZ also meant that I could
create parts of the city I couldn't otherwise have done ie the Princess and
Seaview wharf and Circular Quay plus Stamford Plaza.

Initially I drew up the plans using Paintbrush before discovering Track
Designer v2.  Looking back I probably gained more pleasure actually
designing the city than building it.  I enjoyed being faced with problems
like where to locate the monorail track (ensuring the supports didn't fall
in the centre of roads), how to accomodate a motorway, where to put the
Metro Park, how many car parks to have in City Central and so on.

Was it all laid out
beforehand, or did you make it up as you went along?

Stamford Plaza was a last minute decision which came about when I saw
something similar in someone else's Town.   Also the placement of the Money
Machines, the Post Boxes and Paradisa Theme Park and Gardens where created
as I went along.

Was the
minifig/vehicle placment a spur-of-the-moment decision?

No.  The city is divided into zones.  You have your city centre (City
Central), your industrial area (Highbury), your suburb (Pinehaven) and your
harbour area (seaview).  I wanted to create a feeling with each of these
areas.  With City Central I wanted to create a busy, crowded area so I used
a lot of Minifigs and vehicles.  Unfortunately I messed up with Highbury and
Pinehaven and ended up putting more vehicles in the suburb than on the
motorway and industrial areas.  It erks me a great deal but there isn't a
lot I can do about it now.

Can you reach the
center of the city without suspending yourself from the ceiling?

It would have been possible but very difficult to do unless as you suggest
suspending oneself from the ceiling.

And
finally, is the city dynamic (do you rearrange/play with the
people/vehicles?)?

It's all packed away.  The city was created and dismantled in the space of a
week.  I never intended to create the city when I did but after buying so
many sets during an 18 month period I wanted to see what it would look like.
I also enabled me to get material for a decent webpage.

I'm now working on a bigger city, partly because I've purchased more Town
sets since October but mainly because there is so much more I'd like to do
with the city.  This is a very long term project but should keep me focussed
on the Town theme for a few more years yet.

Great job.

Brian (bbq) Sauls
(oops--forgot one:  do you have/are you going to list the sets that • included
within the town.  I'm recognized a fair number of them, but inquire out of
professional jealousy, er, curiosity.)

Below are most of the Town related sets I have currently.  Most of them
appeared in Millennium City in some form or another.

324 Rick Racoon Bike
328 Mike Mouse Car
361 Garage
374 Fire Station