 Technic / Bionicle / 170
Re: Corrected distribution of Kanohi Masks (8530)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:51:45 GMT

Hi again, Carl,

Well, all colours of the heads are the same (the standard Lego light grey.)
Thanks. However, the Turaga sets will include "new" heads. The shape will
stay but the colours will depend on the Turagas. Each head will come in the
color of the according TOA mask: for example: The TOA Lewa has green masks
and his according Turaga Matau will come with a green head element (instead
of grey as seen for the TOA).

The 'eyes' were still the same like in the first batch, so no changes there.

Yes, the "eyes" of the TOA do depend on the actual figures. Their Turagas
will have the same "eyes" then. However, while the "eyes" in the masks bags
were randomly assorted as well (you don't know the colour before opening the
bag) the heads have all been grey so far. I was just curious if the head
pieces might start to show up mixed now too (as the eyes do) since the
Turagas do have individual head colors each. It sounds confusion but it's
logical. Did you get the pont of my question now?

In case the bags might one day really contain randomly assorted elements,
then kids might (as examply) find a pair of orange eyes along with a green
head piece in their bag and attach these elements right away! Whoops!!!
Wrong combination, warning!! The kid will never be able to remove this wrong
combination again! Once the two elements are attached, it's impossible to
seperate them any more!

In case the colored head elements will really only be included in 8540 -
8545 then it'll be even more dangerous to mix up the Turagas elements.
Imagine, you pick up Vakama (red) and Matau (green) at once and you mix all
their pieces. Then you start building Vakama and go through each instruction
step. When you're done, you suddenly notice that you wrongly attached Mataus
yellow eyes to Vakamas red head instead of Vakamas real red eyes that should
have gone into that masks. You can now throw away both of the Traga as the
head and the eyes that were "misattached" can no more be seperated and
you'll never be able to build the Turagas accoring to the proper building
instructions...

I'm getting too far away from the subject now though.

But one thing was also the same: in each bag there were 2 masks, 1 head, 1
'pair of eyes', and 2 length 3 rods (but on the front of the pack it say
that it only contains 1 length 3 rod).  So I have loads of length 3 roads!

Yes, that's excactly the contents over here (in Germany) too, but the masks
only come in TOA colours though. I have around 70 extra 3rods now, anyone
need these???

Well, the bag says 72 + ? masks.  Now as far as we have seen we have the Toa
masks in Toa colours and the Turaga masks in Turaga colors.  This would
bring us to the 12 types x 6 colours = 72 masks, which are displayed on the
back of the pack. But the Kanohi explanations on Lego's Bionicle website
tell us that the Toa als have to find 'the Noble Masks' (which are those of
the Turaga).  So an additional 36 masks would be logical. (6 Turaga types in
6 Toa colors).  The Kanohi Ruru and Kanohi Matatu masks have already
(accidentally?) appeared in Toa colors during 'the first batch'.  But I
found no mention that the Turaga had to find 'the Great Masks' (which are
those of the Toa).  So this is a bit of a problem since there are already
(at least?) 8 Kanohi Kaukaus in circulation (of which 2 are probably in
Turaga colours). But there's no indication yet that other Turaga masks will
appear in Toa colours.  I guess Lego wants to keep it a mystery.

Yes, obviously LEGO wants to create a huge hype around these masks and to
keep everything secret. However, there will be a software title coming out
this fall and then the legend of Mata Nui will go on. We should get some
hard information along with that software title. I think that LEGO is going
to produce all the masks that the kids would need in order to defeat Makuta
during the virtual game. Then, kids can recreate the virtual story with
their figures.

Although I mentioned the theoretical number of 338 possibilities this
morning, I pesonally also think that 182 will be it for 2001.

But then again, take a look at all the "monster" sets that will appear this
fall:

http://www.brickmaster.de/lego/bioproducts.htm#setscoming

You will find some extremely interesting NEW combinations there. As far as I
can make out:

#8537 contains 4 x Ruru in transparentdarkblue !!!
#8538 contains several black masks which are hard to make out so far ???
#8539 contains again some unknown transparentdarkblue combinations ???
#8548 contains 4 x Pakari while one pair in purple and a second one in
ltblue !!!
#8549 contains 1 x Kakama in seagreen (RockRaidergreen) as well as 1 x
Pakari in medium blue !?!

See, there are still lots of mysteriums awaiting us.....

And then one 'infected' mask has been found, which is the infected Kanohi
Hau (Tahu's mask, like on the front of the pack).  If it was an non-Hau
mask, we could have been sure that other types of infected masks have been
distributed...

Yes, I am also surprised that you found *excactly* the black Hau. I don't
really think that any other colours will be ever infected and I am excited
if we'll see other infected shapes. Again, 338 was a theoretical
calculation. Assuming we only get one infected mask (instead of 169 as I
calculated) then 338 will still be a few months away. I can already see
totally new shapes coming out by 2002 anyway including all the unused
colours such as pink, yellow, LoM: green, red, blue, purple, silver (?) ,
masks that glow in the dark (as seen for Slizer AND RoboRider too) . . . .

Well, my infected Hau is a black Hau, with a very dark grey paint painted on
it (but the inside is still the shiny black plastic), with a few rust spots
painted on top of the dark grey.  It's still a 'polished' mask, no there are
no scars on texture on it (which might be suggested by the infected mask on
the front of the pack).  Instead, here and there there are a few little
places where some of the paint has been flaked off... There you can see the
black shiny plastic.  Now I don't know whether this was intentional, or
whether this happened because it was in a little bag with another mask and a
few other items (like the head, eyes and rods).  So I guess an infected
Kaukau would be the 'black' Kaukau, which might just be non-transparent
because of the paint...  You wouldn't see the eyes though...

Thanks for all these details! Again, only time will tell us more...

And will there be transgolden Kaukau, ugh??? Strange eh!
That one will definitely be non-transparent...

Can you tell for 100% sure? Maybe they'll get some kind of
transorange/yellow with tiny silver sparkles in there (like seen for
Belville roofs and some Duplo stuff lately). That might look kind
transparent gold. We can't yet put aside the theory of a golden transparent
Kaukau, no matter how strange that sounds. We have already seen 8 different
transparent Kaukaus so I wouldn't be surprised about anything TLC comes up
with to increase their profits. Releasing only very few golden masks (to
keep them rare) and among these having one special transparent-kinda thing
would make it even more unique and kids (me included, ugh) would spend even
more money on these...

Pohatu - transbrown (never seen before) ?
Onua - transblack (same as smokeSWgrey) !
I think the transblack one is actually the one for Pohatu (because it looks
more brown to me than black...) I think the black one is a more 'neutral
transparent grey', although I'd rather prefer a bit more 'deep transparent
colour', like the green, red, blue and orange ones.

Yes, but will TLC really create new transparent grey shades only for having
it used on one mask?

Matau - transneon (same as Lewas eyes?) ?
Now that you mention it, that's exctly the same colour like the lightgreen
masks!

BTW, all the Turaga masks come in the colours of their TOAs arms and legs.
TOA and Turaga seem to be pretty close to each other after all...

Lots and lots of questions.
You can be sure of that!  But in a way, it makes it more fun, doesn't it?

Yes, it's extremely interesting to speculate about this and it really makes
it more fun. But then again, I still fear that in the end nearly all
combinations have been sold but a few have simply been forgotten by TLC and
that way we might never even get the chance to complete our collections.
That would be really annoying then!

14 colours (12 standard + 1 gold + 1 infected) * 13 shapes = 182
Yes, your calculation sounds interesting too. Don't forget the fall 2001
sets though (as described above):

http://www.brickmaster.de/lego/bioproducts.htm#setscoming

Obviously, these monsters will be part of "Makutas" army so that makes me
wonder why these monsters did not have true infected masks, but rather
colorful new shades such as lightblue, purple and seagreen?

(On the back of the masks bag there is a mask of undefined shape, so I agree
on the 13 shapes).

As for the undefined shape: That one will be either exteremely rare, or it
will come out extremely late in 2001 or else it will be extremely both of that!

Although I think it is unlikely that they'll manufacture
more than 6 different golden masks (I think they'll limit it to the 6 Toas)

Probably you are correct one that one too. 6 golden masks might be it. I'm
not yet willing to accept a nontransparent Kaukau though!

But this could be increased by the 48 US McDonalds masks... (according to
the rumour which I found on your site ^_^)

:)

Oh well, we'll see what happens...

Hey Carl, in the end I still have a short question for you. Could you check
all of the small numbers that are being printed on all over the bag.

Of course, there is the set number #8530 on it, right? But in addition to
that one, I still have some other digits on my bags, you might want to
compare thse with your bags, just in case :) ...

http://www.brickmaster.de/images/bio_masks2_temp.jpg
- on the right: "Item: 2301134"
- smaller and in the middle: "4155478"
- right under the barcode on the white background: "5  702012  014062"

If you have different numbers on these places that either means they were
sold (or produced) in a different country (factory) or else maybe that
really indicates differents version of "batches": a first and a second
"batch" maybe. And then again, how many batches will there be, when and how
will that legend finally turn out .  .  .  .

KEEP DISCUSSING !!!

Bye, Christian --- xTIAN.
Lugnet Member #479 -- The World is full of AFOLs !
mail: xtian@brickmaster.de web: www.brickmaster.de