 Technic / Bionicle / 166
Re: Corrected distribution of Kanohi Masks (8530)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:57:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Christian Gemünden writes:
so, what about the colours of the heads themselves? Were they all light grey
in these packs? Accoring to the boxes, the Turaga heads should be in their
six individual colours (e.g. Vakama #8540 having a red head behind is orange
mask)
Well, all colours of the heads are the same (the standard Lego light grey.)
The 'eyes' were still the same like in the first batch, so no changes there.

But one thing was also the same: in each bag there were 2 masks, 1 head, 1
'pair of eyes', and 2 length 3 rods (but on the front of the pack it say
that it only contains 1 length 3 rod).  So I have loads of length 3 roads!
Is that the same case with other people, or is it only local to Belgium
?(which is quite close to Germany anyway)

But this springs a little question: Are there supposed to be only 72
'standard masks' (as the bag says 72 + ?; 12 types in 6 colours)...
Yes, that's a realy mystery and I believe TLC does NOT WANT the soloution to
be released. That increases the hype around the masks. The less we know
about them, the more packs we will buy. I still think that there will be at
least 144 standard masks, as I can't imagine some masks (Kaukau, Matatu...)
being released in more than 6 colours while others would be limited to six
colours - that would be even more weird! Only time will tell I believe...

Well, the bag says 72 + ? masks.  Now as far as we have seen we have the Toa
masks in Toa colours and the Turaga masks in Turaga colors.  This would
bring us to the 12 types x 6 colours = 72 masks, which are displayed on the
back of the pack. But the Kanohi explanations on Lego's Bionicle website
tell us that the Toa als have to find 'the Noble Masks' (which are those of
the Turaga).  So an additional 36 masks would be logical. (6 Turaga types in
6 Toa colors).  The Kanohi Ruru and Kanohi Matatu masks have already
(accidentally?) appeared in Toa colors during 'the first batch'.  But I
found no mention that the Turaga had to find 'the Great Masks' (which are
those of the Toa).  So this is a bit of a problem since there are already
(at least?) 8 Kanohi Kaukaus in circulation (of which 2 are probably in
Turaga colours). But there's no indication yet that other Turaga masks will
appear in Toa colours.  I guess Lego wants to keep it a mystery.

And then one 'infected' mask has been found, which is the infected Kanohi
Hau (Tahu's mask, like on the front of the pack).  If it was an non-Hau
mask, we could have been sure that other types of infected masks have been
distributed...

Finally, what would an infected
Kaukau look like?
Well, my infected Hau is a black Hau, with a very dark grey paint painted on
it (but the inside is still the shiny black plastic), with a few rust spots
painted on top of the dark grey.  It's still a 'polished' mask, no there are
no scars on texture on it (which might be suggested by the infected mask on
the front of the pack).  Instead, here and there there are a few little
places where some of the paint has been flaked off... There you can see the
black shiny plastic.  Now I don't know whether this was intentional, or
whether this happened because it was in a little bag with another mask and a
few other items (like the head, eyes and rods).  So I guess an infected
Kaukau would be the 'black' Kaukau, which might just be non-transparent
because of the paint...  You wouldn't see the eyes though...

And will there be transgolden Kaukau, ugh??? Strange eh!
That one will definitely be non-transparent...

Anyone able to imagine twleve different transparent colours anyway??? What
about this:
Well, I only have 7 of the 8 colours (I don't have the transyellow one), so
I'm not yet going to speculate on that...  Personally, I think that the
transyellow is the one for Onewa (which would correspond to the beige masks)
but who can tell for sure?

Pohatu - transbrown (never seen before) ?
Onua - transblack (same as smokeSWgrey) !
I think the transblack one is actually the one for Pohatu (because it looks
more brown to me than black...) I think the black one is a more 'neutral
transparent grey', although I'd rather prefer a bit more 'deep transparent
colour', like the green, red, blue and orange ones.

Gali - transdarkblue (included in 8533) !
Tahu - transred (nearly confimred IMHO) !
Lewa - transgreen (nearly confirmed IMO)!
Kopaka - transclear (is that Kopakas ?) !
I agree on all 4 of those

Vakama - transorange (is that Vakamas?) !
Fine by me...

Matau - transneon (same as Lewas eyes?) ?
Now that you mention it, that's exctly the same colour like the lightgreen
masks!

Onewa - transbeige (never seen before)  ?
Nokama - transmediumblue (already seen) !
Nuju - translgtgrey (never seen before) ?
Whenua - transdkgrey (never sen before) ?

Lots and lots of questions.
You can be sure of that!  But in a way, it makes it more fun, doesn't it?

13 colours x 13 shapes x 2 status ==> 338 possibilities!!!
I thought of something like 182 masks...
14 colours (12 standard + 1 gold + 1 infected) * 13 shapes = 182

(On the back of the masks bag there is a mask of undefined shape, so I agree
on the 13 shapes).  Although I think it is unlikely that they'll manufacture
more than 6 different golden masks (I think they'll limit it to the 6 Toas)

But this could be increased by the 48 US McDonalds masks... (according to
the rumour which I found on your site ^_^)

Oh well, we'll see what happens...

Happy collecting!

Carl