 Technic / Bionicle / 157
Re: Corrected distribution of Kanohi Masks (8530)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:03:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Arnold Staniczek writes:
- A green Kanohi Kaukau

Are you sure you got a GREEN Kaukau and not a TRANSGREEN one?????

With 'Green' I meant Transparant Green , not 'Untransparent Green' (like
Lewa's mask).  It's a slightly lighter shade than 'Onua's Eyes Green', but
it is still a very 'dense' transparent green (not like the transparent brown
Kaukau mask).

But I just have unwrapped my 30 packs I bought today (from the same shop as
yesterday; they told me they had received 'a fresh load' yesterday morning)
and I noticed the following things (note that these are conclusions drawn
from buying 30 packs; some of them might be wrong):

1) In the 'old' distribution I had a light blue Kanohi Kaukau and a dark
blue Kaukau (like Gali's mask).  Could it be that this light blue
(transparent) Kaukau was actually a 'badly distributed' Turaga Kaukau?
Today I have my white transparent Kaukau, which is a simple unshaded
transparent (like most of the Lego Windows).  I first thought that this
light blue Kaukau was 'the white Kaukau'.

2) In the 'new' distribution I noticed that the ratio of Turaga-Toa mask is
about 4 to 1.  I only had a couple of Toa masks, while most of the others
where Turaga ones.

3) In the 'new' distribution there were no Turaga masks in Toa colors
(unlike the Matatu and Ruru of the 'old' batch.)

4) In the 'new' distribution there were no Toa masks in Turaga colors,
EXCEPT an orange transparent Kaukau (it's the same orange like Pohatu's eyes)

5) And the most exciting one is kept for last : in one of my packs I had an
infected Kanohi Hau mask! Yep, it looks like the one on the front of the
(European?) 8530 Kanohi mask bags.  It's originally a black Hau, but the
front of the mask feels coarse, because it has been painted in a very dark
grey (darker than the Lego dark grey), and it has several rust coloured
spots (the spots have roughly the same color like the lid of Tahu's cilinder.)

Okay, collecting Bionicle masks has become more interesting now...

Carl