 Technic / Bionicle / 165
Re: Corrected distribution of Kanohi Masks (8530)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:51:41 GMT

Okay, I have a new theory.  If you go to the mask pages at bionicle.com, the
Great Masks of Power (Toa Kanohi) must be collected by the Toa and each have he
six little boxes of the Toa colors.  The Noble Masks of Power (Turaga Kanohi)
can be worn by both the Turaga and the Toa, and are again marked with the six
little boxes of Toa colors.  Whereas the back of the mask bag shown at
http://www.brickmaster.de/images/bio_masks2_temp.jpg
has the Toa masks in the six Toa colors and the Turaga Masks in the six Turaga
colors.

I'm thinking here that the Toa can get all 12 masks in their color and the
Turaga can get the 6 Turaga masks in their color, for a total of 6*6*3=108
normal masks.  This would at least mesh with the story bits that Lego has put
out and the Toa would not need to wear Turaga colors when they need to use a
Turaga mask.  (Kind of a cool thought, all 12 characters put on their own
Kanohi Huna to evade a Makuta attack.)

I'm guessing that the "infected" coloring would also be available on all 12
masks, so that's 120.  And then there's the "gold" masks, are those even going
to be in general distribution?

What's the pricing of these things?  Throwbot/Slizer discs are US$2 for 5 and
RoboRider wheels are US$2 for 4.  At only 2 masks per bag I'm hoping they price
them lower than that.

Somebody explain the transparent colors to me, is it that the Turaga's mask
colors are transparent and the Toa's are opaque, or just the Kaukau masks
(Gali's) are transparent due to lack of eyeholes on that one, or what?  In the
pictures of the figures they all look opaque.

But this springs a little question: Are there supposed to be only 72
'standard masks' (as the bag says 72 + ?; 12 types in 6 colours) or 144
'standard masks'.  It's because I have Kanohi Matatu in 'Tao colours' and in
'Turaga' colours, so are there 12 types of mask x 12 colors = 144 masks?  Or
are the Kanohi Matatu and Kanohi Ruru in 'Tao colours' 'misprints'?