 Technic / 7102
Re: How real should it be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:39:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
I constantly forget that LEGO, after all, is a toy and get
disappointed when I can't get the realism of real world applications
done with LEGO.

It's most often the pneumatics that have too short stroke and/or
streanght. The motion envelope get's shrunk or the power is lost.

Same thing with the fairly weak motors, either you get a crawl speed
or no power at all, it's hard to get a fast and at the same time
powerful model.

I think we need to remember the original Lego sets that contained these
parts. The motors and pneumatics were designed for, and worked well with,
the relatively small models built from the Lego instructions. I don't think
the Lego designers ever intendted to mechanize a 15 kg model with these parts.

However, most of us have large amounts of parts and are therefore able to
build BIG. The machinery, structures, etc. that are of interest to us make
large creations when modelled.

The limitations of these parts can be overcome (to some degree) with clever
design.

If we really wanted to get smart, we'd start engineering our creations. This
would involve calculating loads on parts and making sure they're not over
stressed. We'd have to calculate the required torque to properly design gear
trains. Of course to begin with, we'd need to establish what the allowable
loads on Lego parts are.

But this is a bit too much, IMO.

Often when I find things don't turn out as good as I had hoped I get
very disappointed and have sometimes teared it all apart and start a
new MOC. I don't like the "tear down/rebuild process". Partly 'cause
my current employment is problem solving and LEGO is the cure/treat
when I get home.

I'm sure I'm not alone with this little problem, how do you cope with
this?

I remember that it's just a toy, as you said earlier. I recognize that
although there is a large variety of parts available to us, there are still
some limitations.

If I wanted to build a fully functional exact scale replica of something, I
wouldn't be using Lego. However, the advantage of Lego is that everything is
reusable and if something doesn't work our right, you can easily rebuild it.
The parts are of superior quality and are a pleasure to work with.

TJ