 Technic / 3102
  Adjustable 4 wheel steering

Hi, all For those recently discussing adjustable 4 wheel steering (and anyone else interested), I've done a proof of concept prototype of my idea. You can find it at (URL) (24 years ago, 26-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

(...) Nice one! How did you get the idea for this? It really is quite cunning - I am looking forward to seeing this applied in a model. Would I be right in saying that you could extend this to 8 wheel (or more) steering with the crab mode having all (...) (24 years ago, 26-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

Some more thoughts on this - Perhaps Link "C" could be replaced by a bush instead of a 3 hole half beam? If so, there is much more scope for curved guides - perhaps the non-studded beams with a bend in the middle could be used, or even some flex (...) (24 years ago, 26-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

Jennifer, Waffling is OK!! I do it all the time!! The reason it should be curved is so that as you adjust the control, the output (link "E") doesn't move. That's why its radius should be exactly the length from "C" to "E". I agree, a bush would give (...) (24 years ago, 26-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

(...) Indeed - but would this not also reduce the effect when in crab mode too, where all axles should be steered equally? I was wondering if it would be possible to get an assymetric effect from the linkage, so that having the control fully one way (...) (24 years ago, 26-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

Jennifer, Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message news:G4nnIJ.1uM@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) Well, you could make it so the fulcrum of the "open I" link isnt in the middle. Or just make the controls movement biased towards (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

I have had luck with an air selection system. Utilizing the 1.25" cylinders for engaging the axles from one steering setup to the other. This takes a lot of room as you have to run both pinion shafts to each axle and have a cylinder there to engage (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

(...) No, it's not a single throttle. Throttle controls volume rate of flow for steam, valve gear controls cut off (position of piston to TDC when admission is stopped). Hackworth Valve Gear does not have a curved arm, perhaps take a look at it, (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

(...) Watch out, it gets addictive - before you know it you'll be wandering past building sites thinking "a Lego model of that would be cool, how could I make the bit that does... ". The next stage is when the people you are with see something on a (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

(...) Interesting subject. I have been trying to simulate a Valve Gear with technic elements and I can say that the Walcharts valve gear is difficult to model because of the curved expansion arm. Any ideas how to do this with Lego elements? BTW a (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Tower crane (WAS: Adjustable 4 wheel steering)

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message news:3A22D54A.66E2F8...h.ac.uk... (...) Ive (...) make (...) in (...) in (...) building (...) backwards (...) the (...) Hmmm. Maybe I should stop now..... 8?) In fact, I'm doing one of (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

James, I stand corrected!! I haven't investigated steam engines thoroughly, but I used to like taking rides in the old traction engines at shows when I was a kid. And back then I seemed to take a lot more in...... But I do remeber that the driver (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Adjustable 4 wheel steering

Hi, Speaking of steam engines, I've built a working Lego live steam engine... OK, OK, the boiler and piston are metal, but the chassis is Lego Technic. You can see it at: (URL) of the chassis are on my Lego page at: (URL) those interested, the steam (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Tower crane (WAS: Adjustable 4 wheel steering)

(...) I found with my mobile crane that the limiting factor really started to be the strength of the boom - 6 batteries at a fair distance from the fulcrum represents quite a substantial load moment with respect to lego beams, and you can actually (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message news:3A23CC3E.C55DD6...h.ac.uk... (...) the (...) you (...) (URL) these, the boom isnt the problem, see (URL) (the one on the right). It is lifted from the end, so really only has to (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Tower crane (WAS: Adjustable 4 wheel steering)

(...) about it. Dennis' crane is truly incredible - I am humbled. Dennis and Jennifer have set the bar so high, (fifteen feet?!?) that I can't help but feel like there's no point even trying with MOC. SRC StRuCtures - only about a third the size of (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Tower crane (WAS: Adjustable 4 wheel steering)

(...) I wouldn't have said so; while Dennis Bosman certainly seems to have the large truck side of things sorted out, and I am able to make reasonably competent facsimilies of Technic figure scale construction machinery, there is certainly more to (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)