 Technic / 14335
Re: 8421 first impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:44:43 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gyl Midroni wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Still, I don't see the need to use this motor in the 8421. It only uses one
motor, and it is not a very demanding application.  They could have used the
minimotor easily. It would have been smaller and less expensive, and less noisy.
I will likely take out this motor and use a micromotor instead.

As far as I understand it, having had a chance to chat with the set designer in
Billund during the inside tour, the "buggy" motor is cheaper than the smaller
one you are referring to. The buggy motor uses a conventional iron cored
armature instead of the hi-tech air core one used in the mini motor (sometimes
referred to as the gear motor). The mini motor magnet system is also unreliable
because the rare earth magnet's plating, which is applied to ensure stability of
the very soft magnetic material, sometimes fails causing the magnetic material
to leak and jam the motor.

JB