 Technic / 14285
Re: 8421 first impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:39:18 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Vineet Honkan wrote:

I also have finished this set and I also like the boom extension, but the main problems for me seem to be that the boom extension doesn’t move smoothly, and the outriggers follow the same pattern as the ones from earlier sets (8862, 8460). That aside, I like how a switch is used to set up the motor for either the string/boom extension, or just the string. This however, does have its own problems, as one of you already noted. Halfway when the boom is extended, the switch has to be turned back to the string mode, so the string can be pulled up, then the boom can be extended (this might be just mine alone, though).

I like the smaller lift & carry cranes, which actually run the hoist cable through the boom extension, so that extending the boom doesn’t require letting out any cable at all.

   Also, I noticed that on this model, the crane uses a big gear at the back to allow for steering. Is lego changing its steering mechanism from being the light on top?

That may be a playability decision. As I found with my BRE-100T, when the boom is resting on the cabin, having the steering on top is possible, but makes steering fiddly for little fingers (and bigger fingers!). That’s why I ended up putting my steering wheel on the side.

ROSCO