 Technic / 14332
Re: 8421 first impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:17:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

On 7/1/05, Philippe Hurbain <philohome@free.fr> wrote:
I think it is supposed to deliver more torque than the standard motor.

Indeed... more torque, but lower efficiency:
http://philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

Philo

Hmm - not a lot more torque, but a huge amoutn of additional
consumption, and fairly highly reduced efficiency. The  5292 appears
to definately be the American SUV of the Lego motor range. I take it
that for heavier torque - it is still better to either use two motors
together, or just gear down a lot?

Dannny

Thanks for the info.

Still, I don't see the need to use this motor in the 8421. It only uses one
motor, and it is not a very demanding application.  They could have used the
minimotor easily. It would have been smaller and less expensive, and less noisy.
I will likely take out this motor and use a micromotor instead.

However, what bugs me the most is the pneumatic element of the set. Has anyone
built this and found the same problem as me - the whole boom comes crashing down
when you release the pneumatic switch!  What's the most elegant way to implement
a gentle hydraulic easing down of the boom instead?

Gyl