 Technic / 14326
Re: 8421 first impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 04:06:48 GMT

Just completed 8421 myself.

Impressions: -certainly the longest technic build I’ve ever had. -an excellent parts pack -looks very impressive when complete

-functionality: vaguely disappointing. When all is said and done, what can this, the biggest technic set ever, do?

Best feature of course is the nice mechanism for controlling rope and arm shortening together or independently. However,the pneumatic functionality is very basic, and possibly defective (see my last comment below). Everything else is manual: hand on butt (as opposed to hand of god) steering, although the 4 wheel pairs are nice; outrigger stabilizers turned manually by wheel on back also, and manual 360 degree rotation of boom. All by hand. Bleh. Some of this should have been motorized or pneumatized or whatever.

Frankly, I would have thought that for the number of parts, cost, and size of this model, it would have more impressive abilities. It is a long build, but not a tricky build. There is a lot of modularity which I could do without.

While a good set for technic-philes, I don’t think it is anywhere near the “ultimate technic set” to quote someone previously. Airtech claw rig remains #1 in my books, with the smaller crane (8460) and the backhoe 8862 more clever and functional, if less impressive from a distance.

Also, releasing the pneumatic switch to lower the boom results in a crash of the entire boom to the ground. Why doesn’t it gracefully glide down? Shouldn’t the air leak out of the pneumatic cylinders more slowly? This is VERY bothersome. Is it a defective cylinder? or a defective design? I have never before seen one of those pneumatic switches where one of the two outputs is totally unused, and similarly for the cylinders - one of the inputs is unused on each pneumatic cylinder, so of course the air leaks out fast. Am I missing something here?

I hate to criticize, because obviously I could never build anything even half as good as this in my dreams, but still after waiting for this set for half a year, and then spending $230 (Canadian) I am basically somewhat disappointed with what I was expecting to be the best Technic set ever.

Sigh.

Gyl